Attention foodies, flavour chasers and local produce lovers, a new and incredibly authentic farmers’ market is coming to South East Queensland.
A full monthly shop can now be done direct from farmers – on the farm – at Towri Sheep Cheeses near Beaudesert in the Scenic Rim on the first Saturday of every month.
It starts 3 February.
Starring real producers and growers only (no pop-ups and part-timers allowed), the monthly paddock-to-plate growers’ market will allow for shopping direct from a collective of Scenic Rim farmers.
As big grocery continues to squeeze farmers, the time is right and ripe for farmers to do it for themselves.
Dallas Davidson of Towri Sheep Cheeses said: “Our Growers’ Market initiative has been months in planning as a pivot to offset the challenges we are expecting this year in terms of drought.
“However, following the Christmas Day tornado on Tamborine Mountain and the recent flooding, it is even more important for people to support the growers and producers of the region.
“Our producer community is resilient, we’ve lived through fire, floods, drought, Covid and, now a tornado, but we need people from all over South East Queensland to come and support us, to buy direct from us as growers and producers, to get to know us, to share our stories and become our extended family.
“We are just an hour from Brisbane and a little more from the Gold Coast, but the trip means the world to us and we guarantee it’s a better experience than walking up and down the aisle of a major grocery store.
“We are calling on South East Queensland to swap the grocery aisle for the farm in 2024.
“We promise a brilliant market, plus lots to do – there’s sheep milking demonstrations, loads of sheep pats, great lawn games, wine tasting and more. Also, fur babies are welcome!”
Stars of the monthly market are names known, loved and highly respected and awarded including Tommerup Dairy Farm, Towri Sheep Cheeses, Valley Pride Produce, Harry’s Paddock, The Black Bee Apiary, Baney Creek Vineyard, the chefs from Embers Woodfire and The Lingering Baker.
Kay Tommerup from the sixth generation Tommerup Dairy Farm said: ”If there’s one thing that I’ve learnt about farmers and producers in the Scenic Rim, it’s that we always find a way.
“A way to rebuild, regroup, reinvent and reimagine. Anything is possible when we work together and support each other.
“The Towri Growers’ Market has come from producers supporting each other to create a regular on-farm produce experience, where authenticity and connection to farmers is our focus.
“On the first Saturday of each month, you’ll find the best of Scenic Rim produce all available in one fabulous place. A collection of our farmer friends will bring their wares – from our family farms to your family table.”
The Towri Growers Market – a snapshot:
* First Saturday of each month starting February 3, 9am-2pm, $5 entry.
* Towri Sheep Cheeses – 206 Saville Road, Allenview.
* Meet the local farmers who grow the fresh produce you love – dairy, meat, fruit, veg, baked goods and preserves.
* Meet beekeepers Chris Topher from Black Bee Apiary – the bees call Towri home so the honey is made with zero food miles!
* Sheep Milking Demonstrations 10am |1pm.
* Wine Tastings.
* Live Music Every Month by @taleahlivingsmusic.
* Lawn Games.
* Local Makers: Candles, Ceramics, Skin Care and preserves.
* Local coffee.
* A family friendly market, with lots for the kids to do.
* Fur babies welcome!
* At every market one lucky shopper will win a hamper packed with local produce, announced at 12pm (winner must be present on the day to receive the award).
* Follow @towri_growers_market for full details.